It is that time of year again for our students to begin writing quarter term papers, research reports and other documents for their classes. One of the big themes each year is academic integrity and plagairism. Some of you are already using Turnitin.com for student papers, for the rest of us, these resources may come in handy for checking the occasional paper or lab report against Google/Yahoo/Bing searches.
To help combat plagairism in classes, I have comiled a list of 6 of the top sites you as a teacher can use to make sure the work you are getting is authentic. Most of the sites listed below are free, most offer the ability to copy and paste text, add a url, or upload a file. With Edmodo, Google Docs, or PBWorks, your students can submit digital files which you can electronically scan for authenticity using any of these services below. The best of the 6 I found is Plagairisma.net (http://plagiarisma.net).
This service is free, allows you to copy and paste text, and also upload files. You can upload files without membership, but the free membership allows for; upload or copy and paste more text, no text size limit, 5x faster plagiarism checking, more accurate results, task scheduler, mosaic plagiarism detection, check txt,htm,rtf,doc,docx,odt,pdf, fuzzy logic search, compare multiple files for similarity (very handy), article rewrite, and send results by email.
If you have students writing papers, and you ever have a question about the content authenticity, hopefully one or more of the following will be helpful. For those who have students submitting more frequent writing projects you may want to move to a service like Turnitin.com for the long term. In the short term, here are some great alternatives.
- http://plagiarisma.net/ - offers copy and paste of text, URL checking, and file upload (TXT, HTML, RTF, DOC, DOCX, ODT, PDF) checking. This version is free.
- http://searchenginereports.net/articlecheck.aspx - Advanced Plagiarism Checker allows for pasting text, url’s, and text file upload. Also free.
- http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/ - University of Maryland’s plagairism detector. The free version allows you to copy/paste text. The $8/month subscription allows you to upload files.
- http://www.articlechecker.com/ - Simple copy/paste of text.
- http://www.plagiarismchecker.com/help-teachers.php - Allows for copy and paste of keywords, phrases, text. No upload, no URL.
- http://www.plagiarismdetect.com/signup.html - Seems to be the most advanced, offering copy/paste, URL, and upload, also costs $5 for one day’s use, $8/month for one year, or $50/month for a single month. There is not a free version here.